Friday, May 23, 2008

Thing #15

Comments on "Into a new world of librarianship".

The author starts with a definition of Librarian 2.0: a stategy guide for helping users find information, gather knowledge and create content. Although I may be Librarian 1.0 (or on a good day Librarian 1 1/2.0) I think of myself as a stategy guide for helping users find information.......... To get to Librarian 2.0 we just add technology and stir. We have always based planning and proposals for services, materials and outreach on user needs. The trick of it is to assess user needs. This is never easy and always the most difficult part of providing services. If technology makes it easier to assess needs lets use it. But lets not buy technology for the sake of technology. This I agree with completely. Funds are always tight so lets make sure the investment in technology is based on user need.

I found all of the articles interesting and some actually "thought provoking".

No comments: